May 15, 1940: Speedee McDonalds Opens
1940 – The first Corporate McDonalds restaurant opened in San Bernardino, CA by Richard and Maurice McDonald. “Speedee” was the mascot back then – a hamburger-chef that was poised upon the McDonalds sign. The “Golden Arches” dawned on the sides of the restaurant.
In 1955, Ray Kroc took notice and partnered up with the brothers. They created the corporate version of McDonalds at that time. He opened the 9th store in Des Plaines, IL and eventually took the headquarters there.
The original McDonalds was demolished in 1976.
- The Love Bug strikes
- Carl Icahn officially launches a Proxy fight against Yahoo
- CBS Acquired CNet
- Supposed Coca-Cola recipe sold on eBay for $15 million