January 17, 1882: Carbon Microphone for Telephone
1882 – Thomas Edison created more tech history when he was granted a patent for the carbon microphone for the telephone. The carbon was in between two cups and attached to the mouthpiece. The diaphragm would change pressure, causing the carbon to be pushed upon. That would send electric current to the other end – which would transpose it back to audio.
Wikazine – Full show notes for January 17
Other Historical Events in Technology
- The infamous “Apple Ad” shows up in movie theatres
- IBM charged with the Sherman Antitrust Act
- Apple reaches an “out of court” settlement with NeXT
- Co-Founder Jerry Yang Steps down from Yahoo!
- In protest to SOPA, many websites blacked out their web pages.