May 28, 2014: Apple Acquires Beats
2014 – Rumors flew high on this one, so when it happened, many people were not surprised. Apple announced they were going to acquire Beats Music and Electronics in a $3 billion deal. As part of the acquisition, co-founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine would join Apple.
Beats subscription service would continue to work as part of the service would be integrated with iTunes. Currently, Beats has a 20 million song library, and is available for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone for a $9.99 subscription.
Full Day in Tech History podcast show notes for May 28
- Steve Jobs is removed as General Manager of Macintosh Division
- Yahoo! completes Acquisition of Geocities
- 3DO gaming filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Time Warner separates from AOL.
- The first graphene-based circuits to break the gigahertz barrier