May 28, 2014: Apple Music Acquires Beats
Subscribe! Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS | More
2014 – Rumors flew high on this one, so when it happened, many people were not surprised. Apple announced they were going to acquire Beats Music and Electronics in a $3 billion deal. As part of the acquisition, co-founders Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine would join Apple.
Beats subscription service would continue to work as part of the service would be integrated with iTunes. Currently, Beats has a 20 million song library, and is available for iOS, Android, and Windows Phone for a $9.99 subscription.
Subscribe to Day In Tech History:
RSS Feed - iTunes - Google Play - Spotify
Twitter - Facebook
- RSS Bandwidth by Cachefly Get a 14 Day Trial
Be a Part of the Sconnie Geek Nation!
In Wisconsin, friends are called "Sconnies". Even if you're not from Wisconsin, you can be part of the Sconnie Geek Nation through my coverage! By pledging, you join the Geek Sconnie Nation! Plus, you help me cover costs so I can continue the coverage of Gadget tech, music tech, and geek culture through the shows.
- Steve Jobs is removed as General Manager of Macintosh Division
- Yahoo! completes Acquisition of Geocities
- 3DO gaming filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Time Warner separates from AOL.
- The first graphene-based circuits to break the gigahertz barrier