June 24, 2008: Nokia Acquires Symbian, Makes it Open Source
Subscribe! Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | RSS | More
2008 – Nokia announced they have purchased Symbian outright. They originally owned 46% of the company, and bought out the remaining 54% for $410 million. But then the company turned around and created the Symbian Foundation – a group that would house and give away the software code.
The group and software would remain functioning until 2010. Symbian Foundation then closed, citing that it would change to a legal entity, responsible for licencing software and intellectual property. The transition completed in 2011.
Subscribe to Day In Tech History:
RSS Feed - iTunes - Google Play - Spotify
Twitter - Facebook
- RSS Bandwidth by Cachefly Get a 14 Day Trial
Be a Part of the Sconnie Geek Nation!
In Wisconsin, friends are called "Sconnies". Even if you're not from Wisconsin, you can be part of the Sconnie Geek Nation through my coverage! By pledging, you join the Geek Sconnie Nation! Plus, you help me cover costs so I can continue the coverage of Gadget tech, music tech, and geek culture through the shows.
- Symantec acquires Ghost software
- Florida Judge grants Apple permission to continue lawsuit against Psystar
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit releases